Kickstart Station North
Station North Arts & Entertainment, Inc. and Annex Theater are partnering to transform 1 W North Avenue, formerly New York Fried Chicken and White Tower Restaurant, into flexible office, theater & gallery space.
Station North Arts & Entertainment, Inc., the nonprofit organization responsible for supporting and promoting Station North's artists, businesses, and residents, is going street level. We’ve negotiated a lease for the first floor commercial space at 1 W North Avenue, formerly a New York Fried Chicken Restaurant, adjacent to the historic Parkway Theatre at the corner of North Avenue and N Charles Street. Plans for redeveloping the Parkway are in the works, but in the interim we want to activate this long vacant corner at the busiest intersection in Station North.
We work hard to provide the Station North and greater Baltimore communities with amazing professional and recreational opportunities, while working with our many neighborhood partners to ensure that art remains at the core of this neighborhood. Just over the past year, we’ve accomplished the following:
- Expanded Artscape an additional block north to North Avenue; added a Station North stage featuring local music and brought the “art” back to Artscape in Station North.
- Ran Open Walls Baltimore, which features 29 murals by world-class local and international artists.
- Programmed FREE monthly Final Friday events, including Dan Deacon’s outdoor performance in Greenmount West, Whoop Dee Doo’s performances at City Arts, Scapescape, Slideluck Potshow at Area 405, Station North’s 10 year anniversary party with Governor O’Malley and John Waters, and many more.
- Provided tens of thousands of dollars in “Think Big” funding awards to local artists and venues to support superlative projects in Station North.
- Produced the first National Symposium on Arts/Cultural/Entertainment Districts.
- Supported our partners in organizing a Station North Home Ownership Club, free legal services for artists, and free business advice for artists and designers.
- Promoted hundreds of local artists on WYPR, on our website, in our weekly email, and on Facebook and Twitter.
Donating to this Kickstarter is your chance to give back to the organization that facilitated these opportunities, ensuring that we can become even more effective in supporting the growth of Station North.